Eczema is a dry, itchy and inflamed skin condition which is aggravated by factors such as stress, nutritional deficiencies, digestive imbalances, and food and environmental intolerances. Eczema can sometimes has a tendency to run in families.
• Essential fatty acids such as Flaxseed oil or Fish oil contain omega three fatty acids which are very helpful for skin conditions such as eczema, providing moisture for dry skin, and anti-inflammatory effects.
• People with eczema often have low levels of hydrochloric acid in the gut. This can be corrected by taking Hydrochloric Acid and Digestive Enzymes in supplement form.
• Probiotics ensure that there is a healthy balance of bacteria in the intestinal environment, as eczema can be related to a lack of the friendly bacteria which probiotics provide.
• Zinc is a mineral which has anti-inflammatory effects, enhances the immune system, and is essential for skin healing.
• Burdock is a blood cleanser which can help to improve skin quality through its detoxification properties.
• B Vitamin complex contributes to the growth of healthy skin and offers stress support.
• Milk thistle gently cleanses the liver and improves detoxification processes.
Other tips and hints:
• Food intolerances can contribute to skin conditions such as eczema. Food intolerance testing at the Health Zone Clinic is a helpful way of discovering which foods which may be aggravating your skin condition, so that you can eliminate them.
• Chickweed cream when used topically works to relieve the itch associated with eczema. Barefoot SOS and Gentle Green Ecz-tend Soothing Cream are other topical options which contain a range of moisturising oils as well as chickweed and chamomile to take away the inflammation and itching.
• Use eco-friendly cleaning products such as Eco Zone or Method in your home to reduce your chemical exposure.
• Avoid all processed and refined foods, and aim to consume 8-10 servings of fresh fruit and vegetables each day to ensure you are getting the nutrients and anti-oxidants you need for healthy skin and overall wellbeing.